I used to believe that fatness was a fate to avoid and escape at all costs.
I used to believe that fat was the worst thing a person could be.
I used to believe that controlling my weight was a worthwhile and necessary lifelong endeavor.
I no longer believe any of those things.
For the last 3 years or so, my daily-ish writing practice has helped me to untangle and unlearn all the messages that told me how to act, how to eat, and who to be.
I've discovered how the quest for thinness was such a HUGE and harmful part of my life.
Reading articles and listening to podcasts have definitely helped to shift my thinking; but it's my writing practice that has awakened me in way that I never knew was possible.
Writing can shine a light on the lies that have been sold as truth for so long. It can open up the places in us that have wanted to speak.
I believe that writing can unleash our voice so we can hear ourselves for the first time.
So I've created Write To Get Free for people who want to embark on the unlearning process AND be in community while doing it.
Before you make your decision, this is what I want you to know:
1. You don't have to be a writer.
2. You don't have to share your writing.
3. Your writing doesn't have to be perfect.
Whether you write with a pen or a keyboard, whether you write poetry or prose, your words have the power to free you.
Here are the details:
- Every Sunday I'll send out a reflection question and writing prompt: the first one goes out on Sunday January 14th; the last one goes out on February 4th
- We'll have two group calls (Wednesday January 24th, and Wednesday February 7th). Calls are not mandatory and will be recorded.
- Registration is $59
Registration for the next group begins in January 1, 2018. The course starts on January 14th.
Get updates on the next class using the form below.
Let's come together and write to feel alive, to connect with ourselves, to hear our own voices.